Saturday, January 20, 2007

Richard Olsen in His Studio II (work in progress, 7)

Step 7

The finished painting. I came back to the panel today after a short respite. I worked to clean up the edges of shapes, and intersections, and tried to bring more fleshy warm tones to his head (while still keeping it bathed in shadow.) I softened a few of the shadows across his face and made minor adjustments to his features. It's a near likeness, but not exactly right. These photos, again, don't accurately reproduce the color range in the painting. The darks in the face should be slightly more reddish-orange; conversely, the white background should be less red. The pale green earth/verdaccio glazes fade away in the scan.
The detail below shows the brushwork better. For a sense of scale, the head is about 2-1/2 inches from top of hair to bottom of chin.

1 comment:

dancilhoney said...

looks real. I also spent a very good amount of time, looking at different picture.
When I weighed out looks, with functionality, this was the winner, in my opinion. Free Images Gallery