Wednesday, November 22, 2006

David Sandlin in His Studio (work in progress, 19)


A couple of details of the mostly finished painting. For a sense of scale, his head is about 3 inches tall (8 cm) in the painting. I'll let it sit for a few days or weeks as I work on the next painting. A few aspects of it bother me right now, but I'll stare at it for some time and see if they diminish or increase in my judgment. For instance, the photograph exaggerates an awkward spot on his mouth. It doesn't look quite so wrong in real life, but I'll probably go back in a couple of days and mess with it. The same goes for his proper left eye. It looks a bit dead as I study this photo of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dennis,

It has been truly fascinating to watch as you developed this painting. I have come to appreciate your work even more.

Alex

Dennis Harper said...

Alex, thanks. I truly value your comments. I've been letting the painting sit a while as I work on another picture. I've done a few little touch-ups, but I think that it's a good thing to examine the painting without a brush in hand (yet with a critical eye) to really notice what's right and what's wrong before calling it finished. I'll probably make some changes next week and post the final views.